The GOLD Report provides and un-biased overview and interpretation of the evidence on all aspects of the management of patients with COPD, including:
- • Diagnosis and assessment
- • Initial pharmacological and non-pharmacological management
- • Follow-up pharmacological and non-pharmacological management
- • Management of exacerbations
- • Management of comorbidities
The Report refers to the evidence used to develop the recommendations, and this is often accompanied by a discussion of strengths and limitations of the current evidence and comments about gaps in the evidence that need addressing in future studies. The Report also discusses outcome measures used in studies.
- • Background material produced by members of the GOLD Board of Directors and Science Committee which discuss some of the emerging issues in COPD which will be relevant to future GOLD Reports
- • Publications discussing important research questions in COPD which remain unanswered
- • Discussions of the biomarkers and outcome measures
GOLD Background Material
Han MK, Agusti A, Celli B, Criner GJ, Halpin DMG, Roche N, Papi A, Stockley R, Wedzicha JW, Vogelmeier CF. From Gold 0 to Pre-COPD. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2021;203:414-423.
Martinez FJ, Agusti A, Celli BR, Han MK, Allinson J, Bhatt SP, Calverley P, Chotirmall SH, Chowdhury B, Darken P, Da Silva CA, Donaldson G, Dorinsky P, Dransfield M, Faner R, Halpin DM, Jones P, Krishnan JA, Locantore N, Martinez FD, Mullerova H, Price D, Rabe KF, Reisner C, Singh D, Vestbo J, Vogelmeier CF, Wise RA, Tal-Singer R, Wedzicha JA. Treatment Trials in Pre-COPD and Young COPD: Time to Move Forward. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2021 (accepted for publication).
Research Questions in COPD
Celli BR, Decramer M, Wedzicha JA, Wilson KC, Agusti A, Criner GJ, et al. An official American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society statement: research questions in COPD. Eur Respir J. 2015;45(4):879-905.
Postow L. Critical Challenges and Compelling Questions for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Moving the Field Forward: A National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Perspective. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2018 Dec;15(Suppl 4):S282-S284.
Criner GJ, Martinez FJ, Aaron S, Agusti A, Anzueto A, Bafadhel M, Barnes PJ, Bourbeau J, Chen R, Ewig J, Fabbri LM, Frith P, Halpin DMG, Han M, Montes de Oca M, Nishimura M, O'Donnell D, Papi A, Pavord I, Roche N, Rodriguez-Roisin R, Salvi S, Singh D, Sin DD, Stockley R, López Varela MV, Vestbo J, Vogelmeier CF, Washko G, Wedzicha JA, Celli BR. Current Controversies in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: A Report from the GOLD Scientific Committee. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2019;16:29-39.
Biomarkers and Outcome Measures
Material will be added over time