- GOLD recognises people with COPD are amongst the worst affected by COVID-19 and GOLD is working with WHO to try to minimise the impact of the infection.
- GOLD strongly encourages people with COPD to follow the advice of the public health teams in their own countries to try to minimise the chance of becoming infected and on when and how to seek help if they show symptoms of the infection.
- GOLD is not aware of any scientific evidence to support that inhaled (or oral) corticosteroids should be avoided in patients with COPD during the COVID-19 epidemic.
- COPD patients should maintain their regular therapy.
- Oxygen therapy should be provided if needed following standard recommendations.
- As new information becomes available, please continue to follow recommendations on management from the authorities in your own country.
- For further information, go to the World Health Organization web page https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/technical-guidance/patient-management